This vegan gluten-free banana bread is the perfect go-to when you need delicious smells in your kitchen and some comfort in your belly. I think recipes are extra satisfying when you get to use up food that's about to be tossed out as I hate wasting food. And composting is really hard when you live in an apartment. We kind of did it for awhile, if you call throwing scraps out your back window into a pile in the yard "composting".
Vegan Gluten-Free Banana Bread
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 aquaflax egg ((3 Tbsp canned chickpea brine mixed with 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed))
- 2.5 Tbsp coconut oil ((softened))
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 cup vegan dark chocolate chips ((optional))
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment. Make flax egg by mixing 3 Tbsp of warm water with 1 Tbsp of ground flaxseed, and let it sit in the fridge.
- Mash bananas in a big bowl with baking powder and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add all wet ingredients and mix with a mixer. Then add all dry ingredients and mix (you can stir in the chocolate chips here if you want or sprinkle on top before baking).
- Bake for 1 hour & 20 minutes. It should be brown on top & cracked. Let it cool entirely before cutting into. If you puncture it early, the texture won't turn out right and it will be more like banana pudding bread, which is not what we're going for.