This is one of those recipes that falls under the 'I don't feel like making anything but I want real food' category. Like you barely have to do anything at all, but these taco bowls always end up being satisfying every time. They're full of goodness including potassium & vitamin C in the potatoes, (healthy) monounsaturated fat in the avocados, and lots of protein and fiber in the beans. Plus tons of nutrients in every ingredient on the list, but that's just how you roll when you eat plant food. There's nutrients in every little thang. This recipe also makes enough to eat for days. We usually make it in the morning and then we'll end up eating it for every meal until it's gone. And incase you were wondering what the yellow egg-like thing in the photos is: it's tofu scramble. I'll be posting a recipe of it soon because it's amazing. PS, if you're not into bowls, just make them into tacos? In fact, when I was taking photos of this recipe, my husband made his little tacos and asked, "Do you want to take a picture of mine?? I mean...if you want to." -_- Ahhhhh. My hubs is literally the cutest human being in the world.
Vegan Taco Bowls
- 2 or 3 russet potatoes
- 1 can beans (I love Amy's refried beans)
- 2 avocados
- 1 handful cilantro
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, coconut oil, or vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- Chop onion, cilantro, and dice potatoes into small cubes. Heat oil or butter over medium heat in a large skillet with a fitting lid. Add half the onion to the skillet and cook until just starting to brown. Then add potatoes to skillet and stir. Add half cup of water or broth, stir, turn up heat to med-high, and cover with lid. Steam potatoes until tender, but not mushy, about 15 minutes. Make sure to add more liquid to the pan if needed, so potatoes don't stick.
- When potatoes are softened, uncover, add all seasonings, & stir. Stir occasionally until potatoes are crispy to your liking. When potatoes are done, heat up your beans in the skillet, cut up your avocados, & mix the remaining onion and cilantro together in a bowl. Build your bowl by adding beans, potatoes, avocado, onions/cilantro, nutritional yeast, salsa, scramble if using, and some vegan sour cream.